Head of Developer Relations
Camunda is an open source platform for workflow and decision automation that brings business users and software developers together. With our various open source products, we are reinventing workflow automation for customers around the world. While many business process model and notation (BPMN) tools are low-code environments, Camunda is a lightweight framework that can be directly integrated into developers’ existing technology stacks, including Java, the Spring Framework, Node JS, .Net and C#. Hundreds of companies including Bloomberg, NASA, Allianz, Universal, and Goldman Sachs rely on Camunda to automate their core business processes.
Camunda was founded in 2008 by Jakob Freund, CEO, and Bernd Rücker as a workflow consulting business and has since pivoted to a full software-as-a-service model. The company was bootstrapped to profitability and, in 2018, took a strategic investment of €25 million from Highland Europe to fuel growth. Camunda is headquartered in Berlin, Germany with offices in San Francisco and Denver, USA. We’re a fast-growing tech startup with plenty of opportunities for your own ideas, tangible results, and personal growth. You’ll be working with a diverse team of wonderful colleagues from all over the world, collaborating in a friendly and agile environment.
About the Role
We believe in open source. Our own projects are frequently forked on GitHub and our developers also contribute to other open source projects. Over the last few years, we have been truly impressed by the impact developers can have when using our technology. Camunda empowers developers to automate critical business processes and innovate at the heart of their companies’ business. At Camunda community events, developers have presented how they use Camunda to automate millions of shipments at Kühne und Nagel (one of the world’s leading logistics providers) or how they use it to power distribution of thousands of digital assets per day to leading marketplaces at Universal Music, and when Nasa presented how they use Camunda to help steer the Mars Rover every person in the room held their breath.
We’ve invested heavily in Developer Relations activities over the past year with co-founder Bernd Rücker making developer advocacy his top priority. We’ve made great strides, getting to know our community better and setting ourselves up as thought leaders in the workflow and decision automation industry. While we are currently carrying out a number of activities to support open source adoption, we are lacking a systematic approach as well as the necessary talent and bandwidth to scale beyond the work that’s been done and fully execute on this goal. We are looking to hire a passionate and experienced Developer Relations leader who understands how open source workflow empowers developers to build amazing applications and can assemble a team of equally passionate individuals to inspire developers to build great things.
This role serves two major goals:
- Establish a Developer Relations practice to systematically grow open source adoption.
- Bootstrap and grow a team of Developer Advocates and related roles.
In order to accomplish these goals, you’ll be expected to:
- Create a vision and strategy for improving Camunda’s developer positioning.
- Establish DevRel practices internally by influencing other teams like Product Management and Engineering.
- Grow the Camunda community by creating awareness for Camunda in the broader developer community.
- Nurture and support the existing Camunda community through content and various community engagement channels.
- Grow the DevRel team to include a Community Operations Manager and two Developer Advocates in the next 18 months.
- Create a vision and strategy for the team and oversee the hiring process.
We’re looking for an individual with 3+ years of experience in Developer Relations who is passionate about engaging with developer communities, particularly in the areas of Java and Architecture, including Microservices, Cloud Native, and Reactive and Event-Driven Architectures. You’ll report directly to our CTO and work closely with the Product Marketing and Engineering teams as you aim to serve these communities through content, conferences, online and in-person networking, and more. We understand that location doesn’t matter as much as passion and enthusiasm, and encourage you to work from the location that works best for you, with the understanding that you’ll be working closely with our CTO, who lives in Berlin.
Our ideal candidate for this position will meet most of the following qualifications:
- Self-motivated. You’re a team player but can set your own goals and see your projects through to completion without assistance or coaching.
- Excited to think big while executing at the ground level. You can see the forest but aren’t afraid to get into the weeds to make a particular initiative successful.
- Clear and engaging communicator. You know how to break down technical components in a way that people understand and are comfortable with public speaking at meetups and events.
- Experience building and leading technical communities. You know how to gain the trust of technical professionals and can also prove the business value of these relationships via appropriate metrics to the company and the board.
- Supportive and positive attitude as a team leader. You know that the best way to build and lead your team is through listening to and supporting their needs as you work together to accomplish the company goals.